My photo
Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog, I am glad you are here. For the most part, I use this to comment (and sometimes ramble...) about the many things I love or perhaps am fascinated with this week. This can include quite an assortment of topics, including my propensity for reading novels at all hours of the day, writing, art, and travel, as I do have a serious case of Wanderlust.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." ~St. Augustine

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

fizzy drink junkie

Let me set the scene for you.

It's 2:30 on a Tuesday. I just got a whole pile of files off my desk, so of course happy dances for the briefest of moments happen. I settle in to tackle my next task, and it hits me. The need for bubbles and fizz and sugar. Preferably, in a bottle. And cold, if possible.

I look around my desk. No solution there. My empty water bottle does not, and has not held the liquid satisfaction I need at the moment.

Ah HAH! I spot my purse. This should contain the papery rectangles or silvery disks that I can exchange for such gratification. But wait, what's this?? A rectangle that is too large a denomination?! Curses? Ahh, but there's a glint of something small and shiny at the bottom of the abyss. Ten Cents!! Hah HAH! It's not much, but it's a start. Tearing through the rest of the seemingly bottomless pit of the satchel I carry with me daily, I scrounge up a few more coins of varying value here and there. What, another problem! I am five cents short! Blast! What dark sided forces are working against me today!? A brief memory from the past jars my thinking, and I pull open my desk, where a beam of light from the heavens themselves shine down on the missing piece; an old filthy nickel that I tossed in there so long ago, perhaps for just such a day!

Finally, I have enough. Like a conquering warrior, I stroll to the machine to exchange my newly pilfered bits for the ice cold delight it holds behind its lighted door.

I really need to kick this particular habit. I have tried to many times, and have been successful once or twice for a short time. But it's the gosh darn bubbles that pull me right back every time. Until I am frantically digging in every nook and cranny of my belongings and desk for the appropriate amount of coins to get a taste of those little imps that dance across my lips and into my belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment