My photo
Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog, I am glad you are here. For the most part, I use this to comment (and sometimes ramble...) about the many things I love or perhaps am fascinated with this week. This can include quite an assortment of topics, including my propensity for reading novels at all hours of the day, writing, art, and travel, as I do have a serious case of Wanderlust.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." ~St. Augustine

Monday, October 24, 2011

Is this even a thing?

Hello there, happy Monday Tuesday!
I really hate how often this happens. I start a blog and then I get interrupted so I save it, only to come back later (tomorrow) and not have posted it yet. Boo. Oh well. Onward!



Here is the question of the yesterday...
How specific is too specific of sub-genres of books? For example, there are the big ones: Mystery, Romance, Biography, Fiction, yadda yadda. Then it breaks down a bit more: Historical Romance, Historical Fiction, and I am sure there are more not relating to historical bits but my brain doesn't work right now...

My example that I think may be too specific is the type of Romances that are my favorite. Scottish Highland Historical Romances. It probably is. But, the way I see it is this, if I have it narrowed down so far, if I pick one up that fits into this cubby hole I can maybe know that I will at least like it.

Okay! Here's another example. I like books that have a parallel plot feature to them. Like the two 'present day' characters are chugging along and then -bam!- the book shifts to some time in the past with a new main character and the author beautifully connects the two planes of existence and reality into an amazingly page-turning, I'm not getting any sleep 'till this is over bonanza. Mmmmm I do love those.

No comments:

Post a Comment