My photo
Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog, I am glad you are here. For the most part, I use this to comment (and sometimes ramble...) about the many things I love or perhaps am fascinated with this week. This can include quite an assortment of topics, including my propensity for reading novels at all hours of the day, writing, art, and travel, as I do have a serious case of Wanderlust.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." ~St. Augustine

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Guilty Pleasure Thursday

I am sure you all are familiar with the website CraigsList, yes? The land of legitimate business dealings and also some of the creepiest stuff ever.




Well, another one of my guilty pleasures lies within these gates of anonymous abandon. Under their 'for sale/wanted' section, there is a little word called free. This is where people who have stuff they don't want and are not charging for it (hence the appropriate use of the word, free, mind you) can put up an add to try and get rid of it. I would say maybe 75% of this stuff could fall under the legitimate business dealings we talked about before. You know, I have this old piano that won't fit in my new apartment so if you come and pick it up, it's yours for free. Fine and dandy, those things weigh a ton, by the way (probably not actually 2000 pounds, but excuse my hyperbole. They're heavy bastards).




However, the other 25% of the time these things are amazingly odd, interesting, or just plain creepy. And for some reason, this makes my day. Yes, more than once have I been given the heeby geebies after viewing some of the items people want to get rid of (and think that someone will actually want, free or no!) but it just makes me happy in an odd way.




So, my advice to you is this. Check it out, perhaps on a rather gloomy or boring day you may be having. You never know what free treasures may be out there, waiting to haunt your dreams for you.




My all time favorite (so far) from what I have seen -- A man took a picture of his hand holding a single red brick and was offering it to someone for free. One little brick, in his hand, captured forever on the interwebs. There was some LOL'ing for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment