My photo
Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog, I am glad you are here. For the most part, I use this to comment (and sometimes ramble...) about the many things I love or perhaps am fascinated with this week. This can include quite an assortment of topics, including my propensity for reading novels at all hours of the day, writing, art, and travel, as I do have a serious case of Wanderlust.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." ~St. Augustine

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Alcohol and Crafts. A perfect combination.


So here's something fun. Not only can one enjoy the process of procuring the materials needed for this craft, but enjoying the fruits of your very hard labor is pretty!

Simply take some bottles that have been emptied... If I remember correctly, the bottles in question here were a basic red wine, some delicious raspberry wine we tried once, and some gin. Delish. Rinse them out well, and remove labels, if possible. Here, the light blue gin bottle (let's call it sapphire, okay? hint hint) does have some etchings on it, but that's fine. As for paper labels, sometimes it takes a good soak in very hot water (rinse and repeat) and there are also a bunch of products out there that can take off any remaining gooey residue.


Pick a flower to showcase. It should be tall enough for whatever bottle you choose. For me, sunflowers are a beautiful representation of fall with their range of colors from bright yellow to burnt orange, and the stalk is tall and thick enough to give it all the support it needs.

Fill up the bottle with water (I'd say halfway is fine) and some of the 'food' packet that comes with it. Remember to change the water from time to time, adding more food, as this will prolong the life (okay, prolong the inescapable death that has been bestowed on said flower since it was ripped from the ground....) of your project.


Viola.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the flowers, but the bottles make them look so interesting! I love this craft and adding alcohol to the process is always a great decision. I REALLY hope you link this up to my MYM hop tomorrow! (Now that I think of it, I better go set that up lol)

    Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Sometimes I find myself picking out my drink with crafts like these in mind.... "Hmmm, this rum may be not so delicious, but it will make a great vase!" :)

    And I will absolutely link this up your MYM tomorrow! Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete