My photo
Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog, I am glad you are here. For the most part, I use this to comment (and sometimes ramble...) about the many things I love or perhaps am fascinated with this week. This can include quite an assortment of topics, including my propensity for reading novels at all hours of the day, writing, art, and travel, as I do have a serious case of Wanderlust.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." ~St. Augustine

Sunday, September 25, 2011

NaNoWriMo!

If you didn't know, November is also known as Na(tional)No(vel)Wri(iting)Mo(nth), where writers are challenged with composing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days! What a challenge, and there is never a shortage of caffeine induced all nighters, word wars at local write-ins, and the intense final week to get it all in.

I realize we have over a month to go, but I am so excited! Last year was my first time participating, and I was one of the many winners! I also was able to have a proof printed of my novel. It is still in my crazy editing phase, but who knows, maybe it will be on a shelf one day :)

I have about three ideas floating around my brain at the moment for the novel I will be composing this year, and I think I will just do a game day decision come the 1st to discover which one I will be proceeding with. I don't want to think too much about them specifically because part of the process, for me at least, is seeing how the constraints of 30 days help to develop and construct the story itself.

Anywho, it is a beautiful fall day and I am going to go enjoy it. If you are so inclined and want to be a part of this amazing experience, check out http://www.nanowrimo.org/ to find out more about the event (and they have a few other events throughout the year, too!) sign up, and get ready!

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea you were doing something like this! How amazing!!! How long was the novel you wrote? What was it about? Did it take place in Scotland?

    I want so badly to be able to write but it's too hard! LOL

    Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is amazing, I loved every day of it and met a ton of nice fellow writers @ write ins! I am so happy I decided to participate.

    I could not figure out how to format my novel into the traditional paperback size, but I would estimate it would be maybe 400 pages if I were to get it sized correctly?

    And of course, Scotland was involved ;) My m.c. went there on an adventure to figure out the mysteries behind something that was left to her in a will.... Horray!

    And yes, writing is so hard for me too. I struggle with it daily and get so frustrated with things I know I need to work on and would like to do better. However, the more we write, the better we get! The beauty of it for me is getting through those struggles, and reaping the rewards after you see the finished product. Makes it so worth it! You should sign up this year and see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you write? Word? Do you outline! Ug I am filled with hesitant and reluctant excitement!

    Thanks for joining my blog hop!! <3

    Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I wrote in Word. I think about two weeks before the 30th, you can start putting your work onto your profile (this is done for the official word count so you can see where you're at) and then when you're done you upload the whole enchilada!

    I did outline at the beginning, and then once the story developed I just wrote.

    You should totally do it this year! There is no pressure at all, and it is so fun. Let's talk about this @ the bonfire!

    And I figured it out like this... let's just say someone types 60WPM. We'll cut that in half (considering there will be 'thinking' time in that minute as well to see where the story goes) so if you write for one hour a day @ 30WPM, you will be over 50K in 30 days! Also, once the story takes root, for me it came much, much faster. And there are word wars @ write ins that are hosted and seriously, I would easily crank out 2-3K words at a meet up.

    You should so do it! We can support each other and it will be wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete