My photo
Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog, I am glad you are here. For the most part, I use this to comment (and sometimes ramble...) about the many things I love or perhaps am fascinated with this week. This can include quite an assortment of topics, including my propensity for reading novels at all hours of the day, writing, art, and travel, as I do have a serious case of Wanderlust.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." ~St. Augustine

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Eat, Pray, Love -- Film Review


Yes, I know I am breaking my own rule and seeing a film before I read the book. However, this happened to be On Demand last night, and well I just decided to see it. I must admit that I find it hard to resist the charms of Javier Bardem ;)


For me, this was one of those films that had certain parts and exchanges between characters that spoke right to me. I had a deep emotional reaction to it, as I felt very similar to Liz's character in several areas of my life. However, it can be said then that due to this positive bias so early established, I of course would have a favorable review of the film, so I will try to keep the two aspects as separate as possible.


This film did not receive very good critic's reviews. I am not sure what this was based on (acting, relation to the memoir, etc.). I thought JR did very well as the lead, although some of the exchanges between her and her ex-husband were lacking at times, I didn't really believe (and at first understand) the troubles they were going through. The other characters had nice development I think, and as the last big quote (the aha! moment, I'd like to think) really puts it out there that they all had a purpose for her, and that is what is important. I loved the various filming locations as well, simply beautiful, including the scenery, filming options used, the people, etc etc etc!


Again, let me reiterate that I do intend to read the memoir as well and compare the two, and perhaps my rather positive opinion of the film will change, but until then, I will say it was quite enjoyable and very uplifting. Inspiring, if you will. And to make it come full circle, let me just say if Mr. Bardem invited me to a tropical island for a few days, he would not have to ask twice ;)



Well, now that the Blackhawks game is over, perhaps I can actually finish this entry, huh? I apologize, I seemed to be on a nice role in reviewing the film, and then my team got all nail-bitingly nerve-wracking, and so now I must try to wrap this up somewhat coherently.


What else did I want to say? Oh yes. The joke Liz tells, about the man who prays to win the lottery is told by the Saint to but a ticket! That truly hits it on the head for me in many, many aspects of my life. I am not happy with a couple of things right now, some I can control, and some I cannot. With one thing in particular, I have taken up that role of wishing and hoping that it will change, bargaining, etc, but I need to really own it and start doing things to maybe make that desire come true. And while I would be more than happy to accomplish this by taking a year long trip like Liz did, I am not sure that is plausible at the moment. I am, however, going to Scotland, and who knows what lies in store for me over there....

No comments:

Post a Comment